Friday, June 11, 2010

Mostly Plants

So after a few weeks where I snacked probably more then I should have, I bought the Livestrong app for my iPhone so I can start counting calories again. I pretty much know what I should and shouldn't be eating, but just knowing that if I eat something I'll need to record it is usually enough to prevent me from doing so. It's funny how my mind works in that way. It's very similar to this blog: knowing that I'll be writing something down forces me to organize my thoughts in such a way that I don't embarrass myself if I was just writing this down in a private journal.

Anyways, reading Michael Pollan's In Defense of Food has got me thinking much more about what i'm putting into my body. As he puts it: "Eat Food. Not Too Much. Mostly Plants." It's a tough fight, because most things include ingredients you wouldn't believe, and it's a struggle to pay attention to what's good and what isn't. Regardless, our first attempts at proper diet management came after reading Barbara Kingsolver's Animal, Vegetable, Miracle, but which we had gotten away from a bit. Here's hoping we'll continue the good fight.

No comments: