Thursday, June 3, 2010

How You Should Run

I've heard a lot of advice by people over the years about the best form for running. At the moment, barefoot running appears to be the fad of the moment. However, James Fallows points mentions another one:
I mentioned several months ago my joy at seeing Actual Scientific Results proving that "fore-foot" running, where you land on the front half of your foot, is better for you over time than the "heel-strike" running I see all around me by people running in thick, heel-cushioned modern shoes.

Note: You'll do yourself a disservice if you don't click through and check out the shoes that promote this type of running. Strange!
As for me, i've tried the fore-foot running, mainly when i'm running around barefoot during vacations, and I don't find it to be very comfortable at all. I just spend the entire time running on my tiptoes, which can't be very good for you.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Poor Mr. Fallows. He claims to have seen "Actual Scientific Results proving that 'fore-foot' running... is better for you over time than the 'heel-strike' running." He claims these "Actual Scientific Results" are to be found in a report Nature magazine.

The problem is, he apparently never read the report in Nature magazine. he just read an incorrect summary of it in the press. Because this is what the authors of the report have to say:

"we present no data or opinions on how people should run, whether shoes cause some injuries, or whether barefoot running causes other kinds of injuries."

http://barefootrunning.fas.harvard.edu/