Friday, June 25, 2010

Blu-Ray madness

So I finally purchased a new DVD player the other day (it was long overdue) and, as detailed here, picked up a Blu-Ray player. (As an aside, do we really need the hyphen? Just go BluRay and be done with it.)
In short, I'm amazed. It was simple to hook up, thanks to the HDMI cable. The picture of my regular DVDs is incredible, even the older, grainy movies like The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly. But what is most impressive is the Internet connection. I can listen to Pandora, watch YouTube, download NPR content (including full concerts!), and much more I haven't even explored yet. I easily wasted an hour last night pursuing all of the entertainment options and didn't even scratch the surface. It's impressive, and well worth my hard-earned dime. And to think that I was settling for that crappy DVD player this whole time!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I'm in the market for one myself, what brand did you get? Care to share some more knowledge on the subject matter?

gibsonmeigs said...

I went with the Sony BDP-S570, mainly for price and embedded wifi. Samsung models appear to require the purchase of a wifi stick for true wifi, so watch out!
Feel free to ask any specific questions you have, but (so far) I'm happy with the Sony BDP-S570.