Thursday, June 24, 2010

A Journey Begins

monsters n mirages arrived yesterday, all eight disks of it. What I have in front of me is all of Steve Kilbey's solo work with the exception of 2009's Painkiller. Six solo albums spanning 15 years and two disks of outtakes and rarities. Exciting!

As SK sez in the liner notes:
[this is] the real sound of my brain
my solo albums are for the ultra SK fan
for the ones who really understand and knew all the stuff i was going on about
here i was undiluted
deluded maybe
but undiluted nonetheless

These albums range from home recordings that weren't really intended for a larger audience to focused efforts that SK hoped would stand up there with his work with the church (such as Remindlessness, about which SK sez: "i did remindlessness the same time we were doing g.a.f./ guess which one got all my best ideas...?"
Anyways, I’ll be taking some time to write about all of these albums over the next month or so. I’m already deep into Unearthed, the first album, and have my first earworm song in “Tyrant”.

No comments: