Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Quote of the Day

The creator of Goatwriter looks down at me. I cannot see her eyes but I can hear her voice. "I don't think you're being very fair to her." I scowl at her. "You know, we are all of us writers, busy writing our own fictions about how the world is, and how it came to be this way. We concoct plots and ascribe motives that may, or may not, coincide with the truth." I scowl at the envelope, wondering. "Take your mother. You write her part for her. Have you ever wondered how you write your part? Go on. Open it now. Spare us further agony." Just like Mrs. Sasaki, the author is sympathetic and stern in equal measures. I flick the envelope with my finger, moodily, over and over. "Ah," she sighs, and the drowsy sea in the background sighs too, "the young."
- David Mitchell, Number9Dream, page 233

No comments: