Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Everything's Future Trash

I learned this point in spades by reading Delillo's Underworld, but I still find the general point fascinating. This quote is from an interview with Robin Nagle, anthropologist-in-residence at New York City's Department of Sanitation (hat tip the Daily Dish).
It’s an avoidance of addressing mortality, ephemerality, the deeper cost of the way we live. We generate as much trash as we do in part because we move at a speed that requires it. I don’t have time to take care of the stuff that surrounds me every day that is disposable, like coffee cups and diapers and tea bags and things that if I slowed down and paid attention to and shepherded, husbanded, nurtured, would last a lot longer. I wouldn’t have to replace them as often as I do. But who has time for that? We keep it cognitively and physically on the edges as much as we possibly can, and when we look at it head-on, it betrays the illusion that everything is clean and fine and humming along without any kind of hidden cost. And that’s just not true.

No comments: