Friday, September 24, 2010

Get Up! Get On Your Feet!

I ask you to think on the hours when one sleeps. Did you know what happens then? The body may lie still in bed, but what happens to the thoughts - the spirit? With what ancient demons does it spend its time? And in what deeds?
- Ardel Wray & Josef Mischel, from the Isle of the Dead.

Have you noticed how many movies recently have focused upon dreams or virtual reality? I can name three blockbusters right off the top of my head: the Matrix trilogy, Avatar and Inception. Now Art, and the movies in particular, have always had an element of the escapist in them; people go to the movies or watch TV in order to be entertained. And the movies I've mentioned above are all very entertaining (with the possible exception of the final Matrix movie). What I don't understand is why the stories are all about people that are essentially just laying there. Yes, their virtual life - their dreams, literally in Inception - are every entertaining, but why stories about these dreams? Why are we not seeing large stories about real life, or actions and adventures that literally happen?
I could wildly speculate, but I don’t have anything profound to add here. I just think the trend is interesting. What do you think?

No comments: