Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Cynicism and Hope

The Daily Dish has been doing these posts called "About My Job." In a recent post about a Community College professor, this comment is telling:
When I hear friends and family offer specific illustrations of why they list in a more conservative direction, it often has to do with anecdotes revolving around the person they check out at the grocery store using food stamps to buy a jug of Carlo Rossi zinfandel or spending their welfare check on some other decidedly non-essential item. Or the stories they hear from mutual friends in law enforcement or social services who deal with the dregs of society on a daily basis. Who could possibly support any form of social safety net when a portion of that net will be devoted to such vermin?
Well, on an equally anecdotal and emotional level ... we here at a community college tend to see the better side of our fellow humans who are struggling on the low end of the economic ladder. We see them trying to better themselves, working hard in spite of their conditions to try and take a step up said ladder. Hell, some of them may even be spending public money on a pack of Winstons, but we don't see that. We see them in their best light, for the most part.
And that's what I want people to know about my job: I don't have empathy for poor people because I read Sinclair Lewis or Karl Marx; I have it because I work in an environment in which I see them at their best.

I hear this line of thinking from my conservative friends and family as well, and I like how this person addresses it. Or put another way: Cynicism is easy, while Hope is hard. The people this person describes have hope, and it's a catalyst for change, despite the very real problems that they face. And problems there are, no doubt.

No comments: