Tuesday, June 30, 2009

The Nip Culture

I just took my dog for a walk around the neighborhood and was struck again about a strange phenomena. Where Hilldale Road and Green Street meet, there aren’t any houses close by. In fact, there’s a stretch of Green Street where no houses line the road due to the slope of the hill. So what happens is that this stretch of road is littered with trash. The waste consists of the usual water and soda bottles and fast food debris, but the main ingredient is nips. Lots and lots of nips, typically vodka, and mainly Stoli Vodka. Hell, I picked up seven of them myself yesterday, and those were just the ones within grabbing distance of the road!

I’m assuming that this is where the “kids” drive by to dispose of their drinking containers so they don’t leave incriminating evidence in the cars when they get home, but my questions are:

- Why nips? Can’t they get a bottle and squirrel it away somewhere?
- Where are they getting them?

I did my share of underage drinking back in the day, but I can’t ever remember doing so via nips. Bizarre.

No comments: