Thursday, December 10, 2009

That Hissing Melody

I’m spinning Echospace: The Coldest Season today, that Deepchord album Innerfuze gave me a while back. It's *very* subtle, so much so that i'm afraid I didn't really "get" it the first time around. However, listening to it today as I slog through lots and lots of documents, I realize that it’s like Orbus Terrarum (my favorite Orb album) in that there's a lot of ambient noises used to create hints of melody that, all taken together, orchestrate a moving mood piece. For instance, the tape hiss that plays in the background undulates like a bit like waves coming into shore, changing the somewhat static keys that are played by the randomness of the interaction between the two. He's using the tape hiss as a kind of melody, which I must admit never occured to me before.

Of course, the beats hold a lot of this together, and I like me some deep house walking bass lines! The strange thing is that there doesn’t seem to be too many complicated beats on the album, with the possible exception of the syncopated keys in Elysian, which had me tapping my foot.

Overall, I like the album, even if it's a bit too subtle for engaging background music, but it rewards active listening with a journey that few albums of this type can take you on.

No comments: