Monday, December 21, 2009

Ray Davies, Still Rocking after all these Years

I went to see Ray Davies perform at the Berklee Performing Arts center a few weeks back. I've been meaning to type up a whole review of the show, but I just haven't found the time, so here's the quick hits:

  • Ray's an old time showman, so he really tries to get the audience to participate and sing along, even if at times this is in detriment to the actual song. It's also a hell of a lot of fun, and I found I had lost my voice by the end of the evening.

  • Ray has two solo albums now and with the notable exception of The Morphine Song chose probably what I would consider to be the weakest tracks off of them to play.

  • He still rocks out. When the band joined him on stage, the concert really kicked into high gear. But...

  • The audience was mainly older folks who, as my buddy Norb put it, "only have a few stand up and sit downs in them," so I found the shows pacing to be odd in its quiet/loud dynamic. He never really got on a tear where people were moving for more than a few songs in a row, which was a shame because...

  • Did I mention that Ray can still rock out?



Setlist:
I need you
Not Like Everybody Else
Apeman
In a Moment
Believe in a God for a New Age
Waterloo
Dedicated Follower of Fashion. (hysterically, he sung part of this like he was Johnny Cash)
Morphine Song
Sunny Afternoon
Celluloid Heroes (halfway through this song, the rest of the band joined him)
All Day and All Through the Night
Where Have All the Good Times Gone
After the Fall
One more Time
Tourist
Victoria
Come Dancing
Moments (from the Percy soundtrack - I'd never heard of it either)
20th century Man
Long way from Home
Getaway
Really Got Me
Low Budget
Starstruck (from VGPS)
Lola

No comments: