Thursday, December 31, 2009

A Seminal Moment in my Development

My mother-in-law and I were flipping through the channels the other day and came across the film Pump up the Volume. That movie blew my mind when I was a kid, and really was my introduction to rock music that can't be classified as "classic" (an introduction I didn’t walk away from). Some quick thoughts about the flick:

- The soundtrack rocks. Some songs are a bit dated, if hysterical: Peter Murphy's Miniature Secret Camera. Any soundtrack with Sonic Youth is good IMO, and if the song happens to be Titanium Expose (one of their all-time best), so much the better.
- I had a huge crush on Samantha Mathis. Looking at it now, the fashions still kill me, but she’s got that type that does it for me. Watch the scene at the school after she and Christian Slater get together for the first time - the one where she's laughing while waiting for him to kiss her. Yum.
- While the movie is pure teen-drama, it still has some good messages in it, and can still be quite funny. I'm biased, but still think it's a fun little flick.

No comments: