Monday, August 3, 2009

Cotzee's "Disgrace"

I read J.M. Cotzee's Disgrace (after picking it up at the Cazenovia Library's fantastic book sale) in a fever pitch, finishing it in three days. It's an incredible book. I'll need to read it again to pick up all of the elements that create this fascinating tension throughout the book: one moment, you feel that the protagonist has found his salvation, the next, you see that he's in an even worse situation as before.

The entire thing is filled with Cotzee's incredible musing, piercing prose. It's not a light-hearted book. I'm also sure i'm missing a lot of the undertext of the South African situation (I didn't even realize that one of the characters was black until over half-way through the book, and it's a major point). Regardless, it's a stunning book that has colored my last few days and will continue to do so.

Tomorrow: onto Inherent Vice!

No comments: