Friday, June 24, 2011

The Stone Roses redux

Received a copy of the Remastered “20th Anniversary” version of the Stone Roses eponymous LP for Father's Day (thanks Ruthy!) The album has always been one of my favorites, and was one of the milestone tapes that ended up in my hands in that summer of 1989 when I had no self-confidence and was flailing around for something to hang onto – turns out that something was becoming obsessed with all kinds of music above and beyond my usual staple of classic rawk. The original cassette version was a uber-cool black and the cover was filled with action painting art and the Roses arrogantly posing. And the music! My god, "Fools Gold" alone was worth the cost of admission (not until I became familiar with Can did I hear a 10 minute song of which every minute was essential), but songs like "I Wanna Be Adored" ("I don't have to sell my soul/ He's already in me") and "Elephant Stone" really spoke to me in their marrying of traditional rock music to more modern dance rhythms. I believe someone even used the term "trance-rock" to describe it, not entirely accurate, but close. Regardless, it’s damned good music, if not horribly original.

In fact, just about the only problem with it is how it was recorded. As I said before, I was listening to this joint on cassette, and while the vinyl-age mix may have served for listening over old school foamy headphones on a walkman, it’s simply inadequate in the digital era. But the remastered version really enhances the experience – the dramatic bass buildup to “I Wanna Be Adored” now really rumbles, and the trippy backwards feedback in “Waterfall” chimes along like the best musical cathedral you could imagine. Really worth checking out – especially if you’re only copy is a cassette taking up space in a dusty attic box.

No comments: