Friday, April 22, 2011

First Line of Under the Dome

"From two thousand feet, where Claudette Sanders was taking a flying lesson, the town of Chester's Mill gleamed in the morning light like something freshly made and just set down."
- Stephen King
I'm not sure what i'm doing reading another 1000 page novel, but here I am. Under the Dome is an old school SK novel. It doesn't have the more mature themes of his more recent writings, but also doesn't have the life or death energy and urgency of his earlier work. Perhaps it's that i'm older than I was when I read It - to me, his best novel - but UtD feels a bit rote. Entertaining as hell, but it feels bloated.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Totally disagree. This one kept moving forward without the space- and page-wasting flashbacks that so dominated his earlier works. While "It" was good, "The Stand" was so much better largely because of it's believability. UtD is a bit far-fetched, to be sure, but with Big Brother trying to be so dominant in our lives, anything, and I mean ANYTHING is possible.

gibsonmeigs said...

You know, you're not the only person I know to say that my impressions of UtD are misguided, which makes me wonder if I wasn't in the right mental place when I read it. Regardless, it wasn't so much the far-fetched nature of the story that bothered me at the time as it was the feeling that I'd been here before - and the immense length of the book didn't help. Still, enough people I trust say that I'm crazy for not admiring it so I'll probably give it another go one of these days - but I want to read 11/22/63 first!