Sunday, February 13, 2011

Best Run Ever

I'm admitably a lover of wide, fast ski trails where you can choose to widely swoop in large arcs down the hill or tightly carve yourself some helixes in the looser snow a the side of the trail. Given this, the best trail I've found for this type of skiing is on Sugarbush's Mount Ellen. Take the Northridge Express Quad, which practically drops you off at the top of the mountain, and then take Elbow to either Which Way or Cruiser. They typically have excellent snow - groomed, but not too packed - and the lines are usually much shorter than at Lincoln Peak, Sugarbush's main base. I'm on my way home from two days of skiing that trail combination and couldn't have had a better time. (Well, I could have had stronger ski legs underneath me, but I'm a flatlander now, so I have to make allowances.)
I also have to say that the trip to the mountain is a lot of fun too. Drivin from Burlington, you travel down portions of Route 100, which contains some of the most scenic parts of Vermont. And you pass a lot of neat, eclectic stores. As I type this, i'm sipping on an excellent coffee and digesting a yummy chicken fajita from The Three Mountain Cafe, my favorite après-ski stop for the ride home's fuel. Ah. I miss Vermont winters. I can't wait to go back!

No comments: