Thursday, November 11, 2010

'cause I'm Your Brother...

I always knew the Davies brothers had a tempestuous relationship (Hatred is the only thing that keeps us together), but this Dave interview is quite shocking. Check this:
‘You’ve heard of vampires,’ says Dave. ‘Well, Ray sucks me dry of ideas, emotions and ­creativity. It’s toxic for me to be with him. He’s a control freak.
‘I hate to say it, but it’s got worse since he met the Queen [Ray received a CBE in 2004]. In his mind, it’s given him more validity, more “I’m better than you”, more “I’m superior”. With him, it’s “me, me, me”. He thinks he is The Kinks.
and this:
‘The last time we were all together was at my 50th birthday party. Ray had the money and I didn’t, so he offered to throw it for me.

‘Just as I was about to cut the cake, Ray jumped on the table and made a speech about how wonderful he was. He then stamped on the cake.’
But the amazing thing is that Dave concludes with:
"[I said to Ray]: "You’re not having any hits any more." Ray said: "I don’t care what people think. I write songs for my dad."
‘That’s the real Ray. I believe he’s still in there somewhere. I could never not love Ray.
He’s my brother.'
Note: Title taken from "Brother," a track from 1977's underrated Sleepwalker album.

No comments: