Thursday, April 1, 2010

New Toons!

I’m been feeling the itch to listen to some new again and, thanks to the internet and Swaptree, have a large collection of new albums to listen to. They include:

  • Belka & Strelka. Tales from the Projector Room. Ambient Downtempo style grooves from Dr. Patterson and his usual crew of misfits. Danceable quirky toons that avoid some of the bizarre turns that The Orb albums have been known to take (i.e., avoid The Dream!)

  • The Rural Alberta Advantage. Hometowns. I haven’t listened to it yet, but Pitchfork tells me that this Toronto-based trio “marries salt-of-the-earth acoustic rock to energetic rhythms and grand orchestral arrangements.” Intriguing!

  • Arctic Monkeys. Humbug. Excellent alt-rock. I like everything about this album so far. I’ll have more to say about this album later.

  • The Arcade Fire. Funeral. This one is on it’s way, but it sounds fascinating. I’ve heard a lot about Arcade Fire and am looking forward to seeing if they live up to the hype.

  • Slowpo. Hi-fi sounds for young Norwegians . Intreguing Bjork-style alternative music. While interesting enough, I haven’t yet decided if it’s a keeper or not.

  • Pantha du Prince. Black Noise. Fantastic electronica. Really takes you for a journey. Love the clear bell-like tones that are present in many of these tracks. A headphone album if ever I’ve heard one.


Anything else you think I should listen to?

No comments: