Monday, September 7, 2009

Comix literacy

I've tended to credit my lack of interest in most comix on sale these days to two things: my boredom with the mainstream superheros (what can they do that hasn't been done before?) along with a general ignorance with what's out there these days. For the record, all I read on a regular basis is Hellboy, Love and Rockets, Nexus (when available), and the Dark Tower series. For impulse buys, my main rule is that unless Alan Moore is writing it, I'm not buying unless the artwork is stunning.

So you can imagine the interest I had in the Comics Reporter's very detailed analysis of how recent writer/artist collaborations are skewed unfairly towards the writer. It's worth a look for several reasons, not least of which is the great artwork. Some of David Mazzucchelli work on Daredevil: Born Again is included, which, to me, only emphasizes how boring and repetative the current Daredevil comix are.

No comments: