Monday, May 4, 2009

The Problem with Buddhism

This post summarizes the biggest problem I see with Buddhism:
its implication that detachment from ordinary life is the surest route to salvation

The biggest joys that I've had in life have arisen from my attachment to things. A Buddhist would tell me that's that why I suffer, but I think the pros outweigh the cons here. You have to love before you can suffer from love's loss, and I also believe that loss and suffering makes us stronger.

Having said that, there's a lot of good things about Buddhism. Its the one religion I feel that speaks to me in some ways. However, as expressed in Dzongsar Jamyang Khyentse's Shambhala Sun article What Makes You a Buddhist?, if you have a problem with any of the four basic truths, then you are not a buddhist.

Since I can't subscribe to them, i'm not a Buddhist, but like a true American, i'm taking the good aspects of the religion for guidance and disregarding what I don't agree with.

UPDATE: An interesting take that sez that "non-attachment isn't the same thing as detachment." I still am clinging to my attachments, however, esp. to my wife and son.

No comments: