Friday, May 22, 2009

Death of the Guitar Solo

The Financial Times, of all places (and in the context of a Clapton tour), writes about the death of the guitar solo, claiming that the most popular rock guitarists favor "more textural, less showy style" exemplified by Radiohead's Jonny Greenwood who, while "capable of cathartic bursts of action, as on “Paranoid Android” ... more often seems content to hide himself in a wide range of tones, as if wielding multiple shimmering guitars rather than a single shrieking one."

They hedge their bets by claiming that Guitar Hero may mark the return of guitar heroics, which is an interesting point, but I don't know enough about it to make a prediction. All I know is that A) there are lots of musicians out there that can rip out a good solo without thinking and B) I don't think I could live in a world without a Townshend, Davies, Church or Sonic Youth solo occasionally shredding up my ears.

Discuss.

No comments: