Thursday, April 5, 2012

The Who: "Live" in Sweden!

Dangerous Minds points us to this great video of The Who lip-syncing five of their early songs on Swedish TV in 1966. My favorite part is that nobody even pretends to play Nicky Hopkins' clearly audible piano parts.

I've been listening to a lot of The Who's early songs recently. In particular, the "Deluxe" version of the My Generation LP which contains a treasure trove of old covers and alternate takes of this earliest incarnation of the group, where pop music (or "Maximum R&B") still dominated their sensibility. I love the power and joy in these old songs! My favorites of the rarities are "Daddy Rolling Stone" and "Leaving Here," although I still can't get enough of "A Legal Matter." It's been a revelation clearly hearing all of the dense power of John's diving bass lines and the controlled chaos of Moon's drumming.

No comments: