Tuesday, November 24, 2009

What's Been Lost in Digital Music

I came to the realization the other day that I'm sympathetic to arguments about what we've lost by transisitioning our music to digital. Don't get me wrong: I almost never listen to music off of physical objects anymore. But I miss the artwork, I miss the liner notes, I miss knowing who played on what song and who wrote it, I miss flipping to the X artist appears courtsey of XYZ Corp to figure out the guest stars on an album. There's so much information about a song that's not readily at my fingertips when I listen to something on my iPod or Pandora that, to me, diminishes the entire experience.
But then I realize I can walk down the street with 20 GB of music and it puts it all in perspective. But I still wish we could combine the best of both worlds.

No comments: