Monday, July 27, 2009

My Best Man Speech

For those of you that are interested, my speech from Chad and Kate's wedding on Saturday:

Hello everyone! For those of you that don’t know, I’m Todd, Chad’s older brother. I came first, so I’m supposed to be the older and wiser one, but I think that Chad’s asking me to speak today is proof that he’s an uncommonly smart person himself.

I’d like to thank you all for coming to Chad and Kate’s big day. I’d also like to thank John and Beecher for the terrific reception. Everything looks great, and the food has been fantastic. And what a turnout! I’m amazed how far people will come for free food and booze!

So Chad was the best man at my wedding and will tell you that that means that I finally admitted that he’s the “best man”. And I’m big enough to admit that’s true! Chad is the best. He’s the best at introducing friends and family to terms like “beat it, nerd” and “you’re AP lit”. He’s the best at playing loud Reggae music at any time of the day or night. And he’s the best competitor that you’ll ever meet. To this day he’s still trying to prove that he’s taller than me by standing on tiptoes in photographs. Just so you know, i've let it slide for today.

Any other older siblings in the room will know what it’s like to watch your younger brother grow up. In one respect, he’ll always be the little guy tagging along after you, asking if he can play, stealing your stuff, annoying you on car trips… but one day you look up and realize that not only is he your equal, but in some ways he’s your better! How does that happen? How does Chad – the high-school party animal – become the one who I turn to about computer advice, or talk to about investment strategies? I don’t know quite how he did it, but he sure turned out okay!

And he must have turned out okay if he was able to land this lovely woman sitting next to him. Kate, I honestly couldn’t be happier that you’re finally making an honest man of Chad. Although it’s funny to think about the coincidences around your union. Here we are in Central New York where you went to High School with Chad’s cousin Anya before you ever dreamed of meeting Chad. Your parents go to the same boat club as our aunt and uncle, and your family lives right down the road from ours. I mean, I’d like to welcome you to the family, but you’ve known some of them longer then you’ve known Chad! But welcome to the family anyways, and thank you for making my brother so happy.

And so, as the older brother, it’s always been my job to dispense practical advice that is – at best – ignored. So here it is. I’ve been married for six years now, and I can tell you that as much as my beautiful wife Kelly and I love each other, and as much as we respect and complement each other, marriage is a lot of work. Fortunately, it’s good work! It’s finding time at the end of a busy day to kiss each other and rub each other’s backs. It’s making sure that the small details don’t go unnoticed. It’s making sure that you still hold open the doors for her, and surprising each other with a favorite meal on a random Wednesday night. But most importantly, while a happy marriage may be at least 80 percent good luck in finding the right person at the right time, the rest of it is trust. Trust each other and you can’t go wrong.

And with that, please join me in raising your glasses to Chad and Kate:
May you be friends to each other as only lovers can; and may you love each other as only best friends can. And may I someday see you gray, and combing your grandchildren’s hair. I love you both. Cheers!!

3 comments:

Kate said...

Thank you Todd, I completely loved the speech!!!!

Unknown said...

Awesome speech Todd, well said. Love you Bro!

AintGonnaTakeItNoMore said...

Without a doubt one of the best speeches ever; from the heart, humorously insightful, self-deprecating and full of wisdom not dressed up as wisdom.

Like your brother, you too are an impressive individual.

Cheers!