Monday, April 13, 2009

Children's Books

One of the great things about having a kid is revisiting kids books. While some are sentimental and inane, most are full of wonder and fun. Reading Dr. Seuss with Hunter - esp. my favorite I Had Trouble in Getting to Solla Sollew - has been extremely fun for both of us. Even young adult literature has been very entertaining lately. The Harry Potter books were supurb, and even Suzanne Collins' The Hunger Games was a very entertaining read (despite a disappointing ending).

N.D. Wilson writes about his experience as a young adult writer:

When I write for kids, I try to embrace the wildness of the world. I have no desire to trick children into false security. My characters almost always begin a story afraid. ...
Enough posing. I'm childish. I like books for kids. I like reading good ones. I like trying to write good ones. I like readers that still have some elasticity to their imaginations.

No comments: