Thursday, January 13, 2022

2021 in Art: the Tab Dump

Partly for your benefit, but also partly as a reference for me to come back to, please enjoy the Art-related open tabs I collected over 2021:

Shen Wei at the ESG museum
Shen Wei at the Elizabeth Stewart Gardner
1. This summer I went through a Paul Klee obsession. More on that later, but until then this is an insightful examination of his famous late work Death and Fire.

2. One of the artists Klee leaned on as he learned how to paint - it took him years to master the craft, was Robert Delaunay. This article about Delaunay's use of color was insightful in how he used color and how it was inspiring to others.

3. We took the family to see Shen Wei: Painting in Motion at the Elizabeth Stewart Gardner museum in the Spring. Such a creative and inspiring collection.

4. The collection Tom Thompson and the group of Seven contains some of the best landscape art I've seen in some time. While painting in diverse styles, the group captures the energy and finds a wild meaning in the rural areas of Canada that I find absolutely compelling. I've tried sketching landscapes like some of the pictures in this book it's much easier said than done.

5. I like the semi-cartoonish quality of Robert Dufresne's paintings

Someone pointed me to the compelling posters of Palestinian artist Farah Fayyad. Capturing scenes in posters is an interesting mixture of playing with icons while retaining the individuality of the scene that is quite challenging but powerfully resonant when done well. 

No comments: