Friday, February 17, 2023

First Lines of Paul Trynka's "Starman"

 "It was a cold, wet November in 1991, like the cold, wet Novembers of his childhood, when David Bowie asked his driver to take the scenic route to the Brixton Academy. The smoke-filled coach pulled slowly down Stansfield Road, just a few hundred yards from the venue, and paused outside a large, anonymous three-storey Victorian house, before moving on."

- Paul Trynka, Starman: David Bowie - the Definitive Biography

 An excellent summary of David Bowie's life and career. Like most music bios I got lost a bit in the voluminous wash of names and locations, but I appreciated Trynka's unflinching picture of the different aspects of Bowie's career. In particular, I liked the quotes that he included from people who were left behind in Bowie's wake - many rock bios can wallow in celebratory histrionics, but Trynka's felt well balanced and informative. And it inspired me to do a deep dive into some of the more obscure albums in his discography - Earthling was a decent album of which I had only heard "I'm Afraid of Americans" - so that alone is a success. 

No comments: