Wednesday, July 27, 2022

First Lines of Andy Weir's "Project Hail Mary"

 "'What's two plus two?'

Something about the question irritates me. I'm tired. I drift back to sleep.

A few minutes pass, then I hear it again.

"What's two plus two?"

The soft, feminine voice lacks emotion and the pronunciation is identical to the previous time she said it. It's a computer. A computer is harassing me. I'm even more irritated now."

- Andy Weir, Project Hail Mary.

Another entertaining book from the author of The Martian. I don't want to give anything away about this book as there's a steady stream of revelations, but similar to his successful first novel the book is propulsive, humorous, and doesn't shy away from using science to make sense of the world. While I found some of the scenes, explanations, and achievements to be a bit too pat, Weir's engaging every-geek protagonist helps you suspend disbelief and go along for the ride. Fun vision, well executed, great read.

No comments: