Tuesday, November 30, 2021

First Lines of Premee Mohamed's "These Lifeless Things"

"Today we dug up bones in the Botanical Garden.

These Lifeless Things

I was briefly, reflexively confused: How did these get here? But what a question. People just die where they die."
 

A fun novel covering what would happen if Lovecraftian creatures didn't immediately destroy our sense of reality. What would learning about such creatures do to us? What meaning is there in a world where such creatures exist? What would we do? The parts of the novel that deal with these questions are the strongest, utilizing the 1st person to share delicious observations in line with someone struggling to make sense of something unknowable: "Pain is interesting, I was told when I started my studies. People don't want to read about happiness. They want to read about pain. That's what will get you published."
 
I enjoyed the book's post-apocalyptic world with the left-over quality of a Roadside Picnic or The Leftovers even if I felt like the slow burn towards a final quest was a bit forced.
 
 


No comments: