Monday, January 27, 2014

First Lines of Haruki Murakami's "A Wild Sheep Chase"

“It was a short one-paragraph item in the morning edition. A friend rang me up and read it to me. Nothing special. Something a rookie reporter fresh out of college might’ve written for practice.
The date, a street corner, a person driving a truck, a pedestrian, a casualty, an investigation of possible negligence.
Sounded like one of those poems on the inner flap of a magazine.
“Where’s the funeral?” I asked.
“You got me,” he said. “Did she even have family?”
- Haruki Murakami, A Wild Sheep Chase, page 1.

Cleaning up my bookshelves, I picked up A Wild Sheep Chase and was immediately hooked again. It's an incredible book; each of the first 11 chapters is a fantastic short story in its own right. My memory of this book was clouded by what I remember as a dissatisfying ending and its disappointing sequel Dance Dance Dance, so it's a joy to discover it again, even if it means that i'm losing more sleep than I can afford.

No comments: