Tuesday, August 28, 2012

The Sunshine Bores the Daylights Out of Me

"The sunshine bores the daylights out of me.
Chasing shadows, moonlight mystery.
Headed for the overload,
Splattered on the dirty road,
Kick me like you've kicked before,
I can't even feel the pain no more."

- Jagger/Richards, from "Rocks Off" off Exile on Main Street

I'm listning to the classic Exile album again as I read Bill Janovitz's ode to the LP, an entry in the 33 1/3 series.  It's a fun book, filled with antidotes about the making of the great album, and it's been fun to listen again after learning some of the album's history. Plus the music just kicks ass! It's easy to let our image of the Stones today overwhelm how great the band was in its heyday, but this  the atmosphere of 3:00 AM jamming in this song in particular is infectious. And as Janovitz points out, doesn't "The sunshine bores the daylights out of me" just personify so much of what the Stones were about?

No comments: