Sunday, July 10, 2011

First Lines of John Adams

In the cold, nearly colorless light of a New England winter, two men on horseback traveled the coast road below Boston, heading north. A foot or more of snow covered the landscape, the remnants of a Christmas storm that had blanketed Massachusetts from one end of the province to the other. Beneath the snow, after weeks of severe cold, the ground was iron, made the going hazardous, and the riders, mindful of the horses, kept at a walk.
- First lines of John Adams, by David McCullough

One of the things I love most about vacation is discovering new books by browsing the books that live in the cottage in which I'm staying. This year I'm reading about American history and am enthralled. Time to go lay down on the porch couch with a frosty beer and read about the Revolution.

Note: Updated to correct the name of the post. Blogging while sipping on Sammies does not an accurate writer make.

2 comments:

Joel said...

Intentional or unintentional title to your blogpost? Hilarious - and fitting - either way.

gibsonmeigs said...

Unintentional, but understandable considering that I've had a beer in my hand pretty much the whole time I've been on Block Island. Beer on the mind!
Turns out that the Adams family was huge, so i'm learning a lot about not only John and Sam but also a lot of the lesser Adams as well. Guarantee I won't be able to keep most of them apart when I sober up, but it's fascinating reading.